Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Should We Just Start Calling Them "Lottery Ticket Stations"?

[Commence Rant]

Do people go to the gas station to buy gas anymore? I mean, primarily? Seems like everytime I'm in a gas station--which is a lot, because I deliver pizza and use a lot of fuel--the majority of the people in line ahead of me are buying lottery tickets and scratch cards (and not gas). Lots. Of lottery tickets and scratch cards (and not gas). Like, $10-40 a pop. And then, if they win a little bit, they spend their winnings on (can you guess?) MORE lottery tickets. I guess they're hoping to hit it big.

I think it's sad. They are probably not going to hit it big. I think that sort of addiction is bad and not good. I'll leave the morality-of-playing-the-lottery-at-all discussion for another time, mostly because I don't know what I think of it on principle (all things in moderation? Gambling is gambling no matter how you look at it? It's just the lottery and it gives much needed money to education? I just dunno). But I do think habitual and addictive card-scratching is no good. But mostly it just takes forever just to pay for my gas already. Isn't that what a gas station is for?

[End Rant]

2 comments:

serenacorine said...

decemberists finally came in.
ummm...so good.
you'll have to have a listen.

by the way,
if you ever write
an entry like this again.
i'll whoop you.

* said...

ha! thanks, mr. hucakbee.